Thoughts from a Coding Mommy

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sunnyside Up, Doula and Losing Weight Goal

Baby Boy #2 arrived last week. You probably could tell from my post about waiting.

He arrived just before midnight. I only pushed for 40 mins and I didn't need the suction thingie. He was sunnyside up so it was sort of cool when my doula was like "Open your eyes!" and I could see my son face to face as he was making his entrance into the world. They said if he was any bigger they would have done a c-section to get him out.

I can't say enough great things about my doula. She makes being the delivery room like a social event; she knows all the nurses and she's got four children so she's got stories. And she's very experienced (and pretty) and very down to earth.

We used the same doula when Baby Boy #1 was born. After pushing for 2 hours, we had to use the suction thingie. He was a little bigger than his younger sibbling. But I think the key difference this time was that I sort of "knew" how to push. That seems so odd but your body has this incredible memory for things that you might no know about.

I got to the hospital well before the last phase of labor started. (With BB1, I was only there for 20 mins before I started pushing -- everything was fast and insane.) I got an epi. It was different from the last time. Last time, the epi was only just potent enough and I could feel my legs and stuff no problem. This time, since I got tapped well before I began to push, my legs actually felt numb/tingly and I worried that I wouldn't be able to feel my contractions. Yeah, well after my water broke, I definitely felt the contractions (no pain though) and I was able to push out the baby without any help from a contraption. That was a big deal for me. I had been feeling guilty about not pushing out BB1 without some help. Yeah....silly thought. But moms think about these sorts of guilt things all the time. And even though I'm usually good at dismissing things, I'm not always perfect. *grin*

Everyone is home now and doing great. My husband is once again being extraordinary by taking care of our toddler and KEEPING the kitchen SPOTLESS! Yes, even I'm having a hard time believing my eyes but it's true. BB1 is so sweet to the baby. He actually wanted to hold him today so we sat on the could together and I put the baby on his lap. I'm always so proud of my 20 month old when he does something so big-kid-like when he's barely out of his own babyhood. My poor little dog (whom I love so much) isn't getting as much love as he'd like but he's a patient little dog. If the weather weren't so hot, I'd take him for a walk everyday with the baby.

I have to lose this pouch I'm left with since I have to be a bridesmaid in July....That's my next goal. So here's my first weigh in: 135.5 lbs OH MY! OK, how about I try to lose 10-15 lbs to fit in the bridesmaid dress? I bought it two sizes bigger so even if I'm not down to my "regular" size, I can still fit it. I have until July 1st to get my weight down so that I can go for an alteration. I'm not even going to try on the dress until I've lost some weight. I have this round pouch that still makes me look PG. And if this doesn't work, I'm going to try Spanx which I keep seeing at Nordies or some other kind of gut-buster under garment.

Normally, I would NOT care at all about losing the weight but my vanity in wanting to look semi-normal for this wedding in July...yes, it's vanity! I do NOT plan to do this by dieting or changing my food habits in any particular way. I plan to do this by walking an hour a day (or shopping for two hours a day *grin*) or some other physical activity that won't stress my body (or stitches). Hello Peanut Shell, good-bye pounds!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home