Thoughts from a Coding Mommy

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Highs and Lows

I got to travel on vacation without baby, dog or husband. I went through security so fast that I started to laugh. Oh yeah, left the computer at home too. My husband and I call it the "travel brick". You bring it but don't use it.

I spent a long and lazy weekend talking with my girlfriends (talked non-stop), spending time getting spa treatments and a great mani-pedi. Heavenly! Though I have to admit, I'm going to miss the breakfast buffet we had every morning. So nice when you don't have to cook or clean up afterwards.

I could have done this forever if I didn't miss my kiddo, puppy and hubby so much. Oh they were such good boys while mommy was away. I was very proud to see that my husband started and finished a house project and my son and dog were both happily healthy and wanted to cuddle with me.

Work is still work. I'm in between projects which always drags me down since I only like being productive. So my morale is not so great since I feel useless. Also, with all the stupid office politics and not enough coding, I feel blah as well. I contemplate quitting but I'd only be running away from bullies and incompetent people. And there are fewer of them than there are worthwhile coworkers who inspire me. So I guess I'll stay though folks seem to have waged a campaign to have "a collective cheer" if I left. I disturb the careful balance of mediocrity in the office.

There are crabs and fleas in the workplace. Put a flea on a table and it will jump as high as it can. Put a cup over the flea and after bashing itself by jumping too high, you'll soon not hear the flea hitting the cup. Remove the cup and you'll see that the flea is still jumping, but it will only jump as high as the cup will allow. I call this institutionalization. Smart in some respects, but also the term "broken" comes to mind. Then there are crabs. Ever wonder why you can have a basket of live crabs with no top on it sitting in your kitchen? It's because as soon as one crab tries to climb out, the other crabs grab it and pull it back down.

I don't want to be a crab or a flea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home