Thoughts from a Coding Mommy

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Happy At Work

I've been happy at work lately which seems crazy since I don't get enough sleep (pulled a couple 4am nighters for the past two weeks), had eng-on-call duty (and even volunteered for more to let a fellow eng travel for vacation, /me sucker), and been running around putting out fires. I think it's because I've been so productive. I'm a productivity junky. And I think my fu is pretty darn on lately which is scary since I'm so tired all the time.

This new project has exposed me to Spring and to Maven both of which I like and have some respect for even if I'm not a guru by any means. I've done more Ehcache stuff and feel pretty solid on Hibernate though I should really educate myself on more of the nuances.

OK, so the top 5 reasons why my career has a weird holding pattern right now:

1. I'm not curious enough to become an expert about new technologies on my own "spare" time. Granted it could also be that I have no spare time, ever.

2. I'm also not opinionated enough to champion a particular choice in technology. Even if I can participate in the discussion, I'm too passive in terms of offering up my opinions mostly because I tend to be agnostic about things (like I don't think I care about which editor or which OS; feel like I'll just deal with whatever).

3. I don't care a lot about formal titles. And I feel as though I need to work AROUND people who do care about that kind of thing. (And mostly I don't respect these folks too....) (had to parse that a couple times in case it didn't read the way I mean it)

4. Though I like to mentor and coach people, I like to be subtle and approach it more from a peer or subordinate level. It comes out more like a suggestion from a friend.

5. I put my family first. (My husband doesn't think this at times since I work too late from home.) But if I really had to decide upon what is important, it would be my babies, dog and husband. Maybe even in that order.

6. I like my current status, level of responsibility and work that I do now. My job satisfaction lately has been high.

7. I like to keep expectations low and over deliver. It is said we are promoted to our own level of incompetence. I think I'm too much of a chicken to ever know what that is. Or more like I know what I suck at so I don't want to ever have a job where I do that which I suck at.

OK, that was 7 reasons. Or are they excuses?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home